Chilli & Tomato Prawns With Secret Tom Yum Sauce.
I call is ‘secret’ because Tom Yum is my new found secret ingredient for this recipe and adds a whole new dimension to this classic dish. Just a teaspoonful mixed in with some water and white wine gives a really rich, satisfying, hot and sour flavour. Waitrose sell a really good authentic brand but I’m sure you can find similar. In case you don’t know – Tom Yum is a delicious Thai broth that is savoury, spicy and sour.
It’s easy enough:
- finely chopped a shallot, red chilli and a couple of garlic cloves
- gently fry these for 2-3 mins
- add a glass of white wine, a cup of water, a chopped fresh tomato or two
- stir in a teaspoon or so of magic secret ingredient ‘Tom Yum Soup Paste’
- give it all a good stir bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins
- throw in a handful of raw king prawns (I keep a bag in the freezer and just chuck them in frozen)
- when the prawns go pink, add a good handful of chopped parsley and coriander and the juice of half a lemon
You don’t have to use prawns – go with whatever you fancy or have in the larder like thin chicken strips, cubes of monkfish tail, even just some thinly sliced fresh veg would be great.
Let me know if you try it – contact details at the bottom of the page!